outfit: a maxi dress turned high-waisted skirt

May 19, 2014

fringed sandals Guess (super old but similar here & here & here)
geometric purse (doubles as a diaper bag) Cleobella
t-shirt T Babaton (Aritzia)
rings Modern Primitive, Byward Market & Club Monaco
hat Free People 


Happy Victoria Day to my fellow Canadians! It's beautiful here in Ottawa, hot and sunny, the perfect kind of day to spend outdoors. We went for a nice walk this morning and plan on spending the afternoon having a picnic at the park. Tavi is loving all the sun and after a long, dreary winter we can't get enough of it! 

The print of this black and white maxi dress caught my eye, but I was weary of it's tiny bandeau style top. I don't know what it is about this style of dress but it doesn't matter how many sizes you go up, the top portion remains minuscule. The pattern reminded me of one of my old favourites which gets a lot of wear so I wasn't deterred by this dresses' tiny top. I really like the look of high-waisted things and the gathering on the bandeau top works perfectly to create an empire waist of sorts. So as a skirt or as a pretty beach cover-up this dress was a real find and the best part is it was less than $20!

10 thoughts:

  1. i love this look so much and you two are so beautiful! it's so much fun to watch tavi grow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this idea! I totally thought the t shirt was attached and part of the dress. What a great idea. I wanted to wear one of my maxi dresses as a skirt the other day, but the dress had straps so I didn't think it would work very well haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that print!

    xxoo,
    nikki

    www.dreaminneon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, as always! I love the print on the dress. And I love how you styled it as a skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Love the dress and you look great in it. I also sometimes convert ill fitting maxi dressing into high waisted skirts or something similar. You are so right about the top though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE how you creatively wore that dress, it looks super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little one is getting so big :) it's been awhile since I stopped by. Thanks for your lovely comment and encouragement. :) you look lovely mama and I adore your maxi dress and how you styled it. I love Maxi dresses. Going to follow you on bloglovin. Please stop back by anytime. Rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, cute, cute, so cute!! You and Tavi! That dress is aboslutely divine. Hihi, love the second and fourth picture, they could go straight into a magazine... well actually all can :P.

    Kisses,
    Lucia

    ✿⊰✲⊱✿⊰✲⊱✿ Lucia Flores Diary ✿⊰✲⊱✿⊰✲⊱✿

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I was thinking I'd do the same until I realized I have the opposite problem - all my dresses would be too big in the bust so they have built-in cups!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful styling, love your FP hat!

    Tara xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger