Sunday Series: a visit to a farm

Mar 23, 2014


This week my Dad was on holidays and he came up to Ottawa for a visit. One of the things we did while he was here was spend an afternoon at the Museum of Agriculture which has an actual, functional farm on it. I'd never been there before and wasn't quite sure what to expect.*

Tavi, who loves cats and dogs from a distance was pretty comfortable with the animals that were behind a fence. She was fascinated with the sheep (maybe because she a few stuffed sheep toys at home) and was quite brave around them. When a really big one came up to the fence in front of her she lifted her hand up to try and touch it without even flinching! She had no problem reaching in between the bars and giving the other sheep a pat, although she wasn't quite sure what to make of the texture of their wool. 


We spent a lot of time in the different barns and the only animal Tavi seemed afraid of were the cows. I had forgotten how big they were until we were just a few feet away from them. Tavi was fearful until she was safely strapped into her stroller and moving away quickly. In another section of the barn that housed the calves she was fine. 


After visiting most of the barns we ended up at the Learning Centre Complex where we ate our picnic lunch. We didn't spend a lot of time looking at the exhibits because it was getting close to nap time, but it was interesting to get a glimpse of what was there. I will bring Tavi back to the farm when she's a bit older, I think it will be a great tool along with going to the farmers market and berry picking, in teaching her where food comes from and why we choose to eat the way we do.



*It turns out, like the zoo, I had mixed feelings about the farm. Some animals seemed happy and comfortable in their conditions and seemed to enjoy the attention of visitors while others, like the dairy cows, looked pretty uncomfortable and unhappy. I think it was good to visit because I had an idea in my head of what a farm would be like and this was a dose of reality.



21 thoughts:

  1. Tavi looks so so cute! So nice to see how you raise your little girl, just the way I was raised... interacting with animals on farms and picking fruits (I even used to grow vegies with my mom), to learn where everything comes from. This learning process is so fun for childern, we need to show them that everything from nature and healthy things are fun.

    My mom used to take us to biological farms. The animals were always happy and free. Dairy cows on normals farms are not treated so well unfortunately, they get antibiotics and hormones all the time, which makes them feel sick.... so sad.

    Have a great week!

    Kisses,
    Lucia

    ✿⊰✲⊱✿⊰✲⊱✿ Lucia Flores Diary ✿⊰✲⊱✿⊰✲⊱✿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah normal dairy farms are really depressing. Hopefully through the farmers market this summer I'll be able to find a biological/free range farmer that's willing to let children visit.

      that's awesome you had a childhood where you were involved with where your food came from, that's how I grew up too! I hope to have a garden when we move to a house :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for you sweet comment on my blog Emmett :). A garden is a must! You could also have a wide plant bucket on your balcony or in your house if you don't have one, to grow some mini vegies or strawberries... just until you have your garden :).

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness me, I love Tavi's outfit!!! lol. Inspiration from a toddler/infant :D. My grandparents all had cattle farms and till this day, I will never come close to one.

    I reckon the dairy cows would also be a sad cause they often get seperated from their calves for long periods of time or permanently in some cases. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha I would raid her closet too.

      I saw the separation of the calves & cows on this farm and it seemed so cruel. I knew that mainstream farms were pretty harsh but I didn't realize the extent of it.

      Delete
  3. you are right! farms and zoo's can give you mixed feelings...I'm sure Tavi loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that little coat is too cute!

    xxoo,
    nikki

    www.dreaminneon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at your little cutie pie! LOVE the jacket! She is already a fashionista in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tavi's outfit is the cutest! That jacket ... I want one in my size :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like fun! I'd love to do this with Anabelle! It's good to know where your food comes from and to know conditions before you eat. I understand how you feel about the animal conditions...
    PS. You should check out the giveaway on my blog! Cute little leggings and dribble bib that I think that Tavi would love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, Tavi is so adorable and I am swooning over her little outfit!
    I think it is so wonderful that you are showing her where food comes from and teaching her to be thoughtful and aware when choosing what and from where she eats. It is so great to start at such a young age. And yes, it is so tough to see animals living in difficult conditions. SO sad and unfair. Hopefully, over time, this will change. We just have to keep making good choices and teaching others, like you are doing with Tavi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully the farm will make people more aware of the true cost of their food choices and inspire them to change. There are tons of farmers markets across the city, and lots of the stuff sold there is also sold in smaller grocery stores in the winter. So there are options, but maybe the problem is people don't realize that.

      and thanks for the compliment, I'm just trying to teach her our values in an understandable way :)

      Delete
  9. aahh.. such lovely photos. cute family :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, Tavi is so adorable in that jacket with her hat. Gosh, can't believe that she is going to be 1 next month. I also love that picture of her and her granddad, just beautiful.

    You and Tavi have the same beautiful eyes, too cute. I just love your Sundays series and the fact that you guys always do fun stuff with the babe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally agree with you about zoos and farms..Tavi's two bottom teeth peeking out though, so adorable, I have a nephew around the same age and can't wait to spend time with him..The tunic you're wearing is making me need it in my life x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up on a farm and all of our animals had plenty of space to roam. Acres and acres of freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She seriously can't get any cuter. oh my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, Tavi's hair is getting curly! Adorable. She looks majorly stylish in her little ensemble. She looks age-appropriate but at the same time you can see your distinctive flair in her outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tavi looks like she was charmed and amused with the animals. Was it her first time seeing them up-close? At any rate, I'm sure she was more comfortable with the farm animals than cats and dogs, given they behave more regal as oppose to the active pets at home. Anyway, I hope your family can enjoy more trips like that soon, Emmett! Thanks for sharing!

    Darren Lanphere @ Mirr Ranch Group

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger