sunday series: gearing up for valentines day

Feb 2, 2014



A few pictures from earlier in the day, as you can see we really like to celebrate Valentine's Day around here! I know it's still 2 weeks away but it's my favourite holiday, which means as soon as February rolls around it's time to get the decorations up and do some festive baking. There are so many decorating tutorials floating Pinterest these days I told myself I'd try this one and this one and that's it!



I often go a little nuts with the baking but I'm trying to rein it in a bit this year so our sugar consumption isn't completely ridiculous. The problem is there are so many recipes to try! I finally made the Heritage Red Velvet Cake  from Sprinkle Bakes (a baking blog I am obsessed with) and it was a lot trickier than I thought it would be. It turned out decent and tasted good so it was worth the effort I suppose.

Tavi seems to be getting in the holiday spirit too, she loves playing with my heart shaped cookie cutters and all the cupcake trays and has noticed that the Valentine's Day decorations are up. She's even old enough now that she can try some holiday treats, we've started introducing her to solid food now that she's gotten her top and bottom teeth in the front. If she's anything like her Dad I'm sure she'll love the sweets!

23 thoughts:

  1. This is so cute. I agree so many gorgeous treats on Pinterest and they are so worth trying. Marvelous job with the cake. So pretty.

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, didn't know how intense you celebrate that day over there, we only tend to go to the restaurant and that's mostly it ;) but really looks fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how V day is big in your home. My favourite "holday" too, after spring day. I never really do much though :-/ Maybe this year I'll go big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love red velvet cake! really cute photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that cake is gorgeous!

    xxoo,
    nikki

    www.dreaminneon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! Delicious and full of love. :)

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Valentines Day too. I don't like going out much because it always seems a bit tacky but instead love cooking a nice meal. Great photos, looks like Tavi is as photogenic as her mum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This collage is adorable!

    http://www.fashionroll.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. aah that cake looks amazing!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. there's a high-end skincare giveaway on my blog, click here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww, that pic of you and Tavi is so adorable. Mother-daughter moment are so sweet.
    Gosh your daughter is so beautiful, can I put her on a list for one of my boys please pretty please :). Typical African lady over here, don't mind me it must be Valentine's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved seeing pictures of your gorgeous cake on decorations! I love how you've decorated your house, too. I've had my decorations up since the middle of January, so no judgment here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks yummy for eyes and for belly! Love those photos

    http://fashmongers.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. aww Tavi is such a cutie, look at those big eyes! and i love your decorations, and THE CAKE! red velvet is my absolute favorite, but that heart cake is almost too pretty to eat :)

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your décor. I can't believe I've never thought to decorate for Valentines day! It's not too late I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your decorations and sweets look absolutely lovely! I wish I got more festive during February and you are inspiring me to do that! Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. loving all the hearts in your pictures. Tavi's eyes, awww gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love it! So festive and fun...not a holiday many peeps celebrate but love how you've made it a lifestyle choice babe :D MAD props on that cake! Yummmms...

    Thank you for visiting and hope to see you back for my latest lovey!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow. the cake ! I am going to Paris for the Valentine's weekend on my first ever child free holiday. I really can't wait :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOU are ADORABLE! This is such a cute, lil' post. That cake looks so yummy and Tavi is so beautiful!
    xx. Jillian
    Boyish Chic now on www.roadtohereblog.com

    ReplyDelete

  20. Hey girl! It's been far too long!!! I'm catching up on my fill of Tavi pics...she is so adorable!! I wish I could squeeze her right now...do you think you guys will ever come to Vancouver?!
    Your cake looks beautiful! What an inspiration...right now I'm obsessed with sweet potato brownies!!! You can also make them with beets, which would be good for valentines day! And you can use the leftover beet juice to make pink icing!!!!!!! :O

    I will send you the recipe for the pretty pink brownies!!! For now I have this for you:

    http://lisavirtue.blogspot.ca/2014/02/sweet-potato-carob-brownies.html

    Awesome blogging!

    xoxo

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I miss you so much! As per your text I will use carob powder, not chips and hopefully jay won't know the difference this time ;)

      Delete
  21. Tavi's sweet little heart-shape face is the best part of this post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger