outfit: cobalt blue

Jan 23, 2014

rings Vintage & Hilary Druxman
concho earrings, scarf & skirt Forever 21
Trapper Moccasins c/o Manitobah Mukluks
vintage concho & feather necklace Eco Design Project Shop
cardigan (old) Wilfred via Aritzia

fringed suede purse Raj Maria (via Gilt Groupe)
touque Zara

An almost monochromatic outfit comprised of older clothes dug out from the very back of my closet with bits of turquoise and silver thrown in. My necklace from the Eco Design Project Shop came in the mail this week and it's even more beautiful in person than in photos. Both the cat and Tavi have tried to get at it, so I'll have to keep it in a safe place!


This week marks the second class of my photography course and I'm enjoying it so far. Our instructor, who's career took him across the globe practising photo journalism in war torn and poverty stricken countries, is a stickler for learning the basics. Once you master those, you're able to look at a situation and compose the photo within a matter of seconds, rather than wasting time trying to fiddle around with your camera to get the settings right. 

He mentioned that when photographing people you generally have only a couple of minutes before they become uncomfortable in front of the camera and the moment is lost. That really stuck out to me because it's true, so many times people become shy once the camera is in their face that it can be hard to capture a candid moment. 

I've learned a lot in class and have been practising taking pictures in manual mode at home. For blog photos I'm still shooting in Aperture Priority, but have started saving the pictures as RAW files. To me my images seem a little crisper, but I still have a ways to go before I can say 100% I know what I'm doing!

23 thoughts:

  1. I love cobalt blue suede! I actually have a suede fringe one myself. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! how cool is that you are taking photography lessons! would love to one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) I die over that necklace. I need! 2) I have been intrigued by RAW, what do I need to know to start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you need to know basically nothing about RAW! Just go into the menu settings on your camera and change it from JPEG or whatever it's on now to RAW. When you're uploading your files to the computer you might need to add software (like whatever came with your camera or any photo editing software) in order to open the RAW files. That's pretty much it... I think!

      Delete
  4. i love seeing how your hippie style translates into winter- you don't see many of winter looks like that around! and i think it's so true what your professor said. i always try to take action shots at family parties and i literally have a half a second before they tense up and put on a stiff smile. so frustrating!!

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is tricky avoiding those stiff smile shots! I haven't seen many winter hippie looks either - most blogs I stumble across tend to be based in warmer climates. If you know of any though please recommend them!

      Delete
  5. I love the color combination! I especially love that skirt!

    Didn't know you were taking a photography class. That's cool! Are you planning to use it for professional photography or more as a hobby? Eitherways, that's really nice. And I agree with your instructor. After a couple of minutes, even I start to lose interest and I am usually a pretty patient person :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I'd ever bill myself as a professional, but it's more than just a hobby. I really enjoy photographing events (like the indie wedding show I went to last spring http://hippielace.blogspot.ca/2013/02/wed-by-hand-ottawas-indie-wedding-show.html) and friends have asked me to do pictures for them so I guess I'm somewhere in-between? Basically I want to be consistent in results, so that I can always be sure that if I'm doing photos for someone I'll do a good job and not disappoint them.

      Delete
  6. i love that skirt!!

    xxoo,
    nikki

    www.dreaminneon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. he sounds like a great instructor. and yes, it's true about comfort zones and cameras!

    ReplyDelete
  8. really love that look, the bag is amazing and so is the skirt. really a lovely native american winter look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and your pics are really better quality, have to check out the raw format, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This outfit is so beautiful and I'm in love with your accessories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your smile <3 And your necklace!!

    Make sure to check out my blog, I do a combination of health, animals, and fashion weekly!

    www.laurinawong.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos looks great and I love everything about this outfit, the shoes, the jewellery and the tassel bag are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you're already ahead of the game in photography. Your Sunday series photos are always beautiful. It's so true that you lose a candid moment after a few seconds. I can't tell you how many times I'll look at a series of similar poses I've taken, or taken of me, in a row and the first will be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous photos. I love that bag! And yes, I get very awkward when other people are taking my picture. it's hard to get a candid shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to take a photography course! It seems like you're getting some good advice so far. ;)

    Blue is my favorite color, so this outfit is making my soul happy.

    The Rambling Fangirl

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's pretty cool that you're taking a photography class. I took online classes for digital photography a long time ago. It was pretty darn boring.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad I found your blog! I'm obsessed with your style!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That blue is so pretty! I want the whole outfit. And I can totally tell that you're taking a photography class. Your pictures of the doughnut shop should be in a magazine. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how perfectly the purse and maxi match. That necklace is, of course, quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorrrgeous! I love your blog! Was redirected here by mukluks! What an inspirational find!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger