Sunday Series: Baby Wearing, Third Time's a Charm!

Oct 6, 2013

 


I'm so pumped right now!!! For the longest time I've been thinking how much easier life would be if I could just wear Tavi around. Usually when I take her with me to run errands she starts out in the stroller but ends up in my arms. She's so curious and wants out to see everything that's going on. This is how we get groceries, drop off dry cleaning, get coffee, etc, which at times can be a little tricky. Anyways, after trying a couple of baby carriers with no luck, yesterday I found something Tavi actually likes!

When Tavi was about 3 months old we were back home visiting family because my niece and nephew were down from Calgary. I bought a baby carrier thinking it would make taking the kids to the park much easier and it probably would have, if I had actually been able to use it! The thing was so damn complicated. My brother spent over half an hour adjusting all the straps and buckles for me, ensuring it fit and was ergonomically correct. The problem was even though it was comfortable for me, it wasn't for Tavi. The carrier had this weird neck strap that basically mashed her face into my collarbone and I can't really blame her for hating it. She screamed bloody murder until she was free, so back to the store carrier number one went.

After that I spent a couple weeks googling baby carrier reviews and decided ok, the ergo is the one for us. I watched youtube videos and all the babies seemed so happy in the ergo, you could wear it three ways and it even came in a really cool print. I was confident this would be the one. I went down to Three Little Monkeys to try it out with Tavi

...

and she hated it. The sales lady seemed to think it was bothering her hips and suggested we try again when she was a little bigger. I looked at the other carriers but they seemed very similar in design to the first two I had tried I didn't bother testing them out.

I had pretty much given up on baby wearing when I saw my neighbour carrying her son around in a sling the other day and I figured why not give baby wearing one more try. So back to Three Little Monkeys I went. I tried out the Maya Wrap Ring Sling and it ended up being something that works for both me and Tavi!
 

22 thoughts:

  1. Arlo and I never got the hang of baby wearing. Glad you found something that works! You two could not be more gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby slings are the best. Used one for both A and H. I really like the one you chose

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babywearing is awesome. My first boy didn't like it at all, he just wanted me to hold me. My second boy couldn't get enough of it. So glad you and Tavi finally found something that worked for you, here is to a long loving babywearing relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you and Tavi found something that works for both of your. Babywearing is so practical. I used a Ghanaian version and then created a homemade moby wrap, I really like that one because it gave me support for both shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! I use an ergo for walking the dog and around the house. It's so great to be hands-free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog, your pictures! You have a lovely family!
    And i agree with you, babywearing is the best ;)

    http://babygracerose.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you found something that works! I love seeing mothers carrying their babies in wraps. It seems so much more intimate and special to have them so close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurrah! It definitely makes life a whole lot easier. I wear my baby when I am cooking in the kitchen. Although, I think I need a different carrier because she is getting older and is getting quite heavy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the picture of you two!
    Have you heard of Sakura Bloom? They make slings that look like this and I've heard SO many good things about it! We just have a carrier but I'd love to try a sling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I have heard of Sakura Bloom, I'm pretty sure that's one of the slings I looked at before deciding on the Maya Sling. The reason I chose this one was because out of the ones the store had it seemed the most comfortable. The shoulder area is slightly padded on this one where as on the other ones it wasn't. The material seemed a bit more substantial than the other ones and the sales person recommended the Maya Sling out of all the other ones too and I was sold!

      Hope my thought process/reasoning was helpful!

      Delete
  10. Baby wearing is so good for both mama & baby! Glad you were able to find something that works for you. We use a Moby wrap and my daughter falls asleep within minutes of being wrapped lol, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one. Moby Wrap!

      http://www.iwantfashion.co.uk
      UK High Street Fashion
      Get the latest on high street trends, collections, EXCLUSIVE discount codes and more!

      Delete
  11. I need a carrier...We got a horrible infantino one (not a wrap)...very uncomfortable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ian didn't like the ergo at first either... but after trying it over and over again ( I mean, we shelled the money out without even trying it on first), he LOVES it. I'm so glad you guys found something that works for you. Babywearing makes life so much easier (particularly if you live in a city, like I do, where you rely on public transportation).

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such beautiful hair! random side note haha :) great you found a way to carry your babe around!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a massive fan of baby wearing, I can't remember the brand I used but my son loved it!
    I need to find one just as good for this baby - made life easier especially because he hated being put down!

    http://www.iwantfashion.co.uk
    UK High Street Fashion
    Get the latest on high street trends, collections, EXCLUSIVE discount codes and more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. baby wearing is the best thing and then they get too big and you can't wear them anymore...enjoy these moments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you found something! I'm having a tough time with Hawk- he seems to hate all the carriers his brother loved. It's driving me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't carry my son in a sling but with the twins this time around, I need something! Thanks for your great review. I will have to try it out. I hate how complicated they can be. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hooray! My SIL uses the wrap for her baby, and she loves it! (both of them, actually). So glad you found one that works! Plus you look super cute and like a total hippie :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. excellent photo and yippee for finding the right one! i'm sure i would be clueless trying to figure out how to use any of those things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger