sunday series/family life: visiting

Aug 18, 2013



Well, this week kind of got away from us. Last weekend we went back home to visit family and fully intended on coming back to Ottawa for the beginning of the week but we kept staying for one more dinner, one more night and before we knew it, it was Wednesday and we really had to go home! 
 
During our visit we got to meet our friend's new baby who's a little over 2 weeks old and just 6 and a half pounds. Their baby was so incredibly tiny, holding her brought back all sorts of memories. It's only been a few months but it's crazy how much I've forgotten already. Maybe this forgetfulness is useful, I mean my friend and I were already talking about our plans for baby number two! Thank goodness for journals and pictures and blogs, seriously, you don't realize how much has changed in such a short amount of time until you look at photos and visually see the differences. 

Besides visiting friends and family we spent a lot of time outdoors. Tavi is a pretty happy baby but she gets ridiculously excited when we go outside! I felt pretty comfortable walking around in the sun with her because I discovered this UV mesh thing we can put over the stroller to protect her skin. I was always a little worried about sunburns because she's so fair but I hated using any kind of sunscreen because it just felt wrong to be slathering chemicals into a baby's skin. Between sticking to the shade and using the UV mesh we've managed to avoid sunburns and chemicals. win-win!

So now we're back in the city and I'm a little homesick, it's always a little hard coming back after a weekend home with family and friends I've known my entire life. I love Ottawa but sometimes I miss the support system we left behind when we moved.

29 thoughts:

  1. Beautiful pictures! She is so adorable!

    It's so true! I started blogging when my nephew was just born and when I look at my old posts and see him now it is hard to believe how much time has passed. Time is moving so quickly.

    I feel the same way whenever I leave family. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tavi is the cutest thing in the world, and I think that hot dog was probably the yummiest thing in the world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good time :) I live about ten minutes from most of my family so I'm not very homesick. When J goes on a trip, though, I'm awfully homesick for him.

    that baby is adorable. :D

    love,
    a

    www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I love her look in that last picture!

    That hot dog looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life would be 10x easier if sunburn didn't exist! Amazing pictures!
    x Eloise - Jazzlipsandtulips

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tavi is as stylish as her mommy. Love that li'l outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her little outfit! Absolutely gorgeous! and I feel you on the chemicals on the skin. We use either coconut oil as a natural, light sunscreen or if we're going to be out for an extended period of time I use Badger Brand, it's a nano-free, essential oil type sunscreen and it works great! If it's just a short time I don't worry too much. Glad you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the product recommendation, I like trying stuff that other people recommend rather than by trial and error.

      Delete
  8. Such adorable pics! Really great you managed the sun protection issue! Really can understand how hard it is to leave the family behind and it's so cute that you stayed for some more days! Did you take the plane and how did Tavi like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh it's not too far, just a 2 hour drive :)

      Delete
  9. There's nothing like family quality time. If I lived in another city, I'd stretch my visits to the max as well. Glad you enjoyed & shared the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos - looks like you had a fabulous time!

    Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to need to find a UV mesh! I'm so anxious to get back outside: we've got major cabin fever right now. I plan to take the boys on lots of walks this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such pretty shots!!! i see, you´re already dressing her in style! ;)

    http://bohemiansbanquet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those little baby mukluks are the cutest things I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That baby in those moccasins! Oh. Em. Geeeeeeee!!! :) Also, I want to eat that hotdog, annnnd, I love that photo of the white flowers ... love plain old white & green together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tavi is beautiful and loving her outfit! definitely as stylish as her mummy. The time just goes fat too quick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. em k, i know what you mean about missing family and home. i'm so glad you got to have that time with them! win-win on the no sunburns for sure. it really is fascinating how children. super sweet tavi outside pics and her shoes make me smile too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a lovely visit. Tavi is adorable in that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your photography! I'm glad I found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. how fun!! you always think your baby is tiny until you see a newborn...it's crazy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow... I love these photos. Your baby is really cute too.
    Great post. Please check out my giveaway.

    Belinda.

    Zoharous Ready-to-Wear Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  21. THAT BABY. Oh, she is adorable! I just want to squeeze her little cheeks. It is crazy how big she's gotten -- especially when you compare her to a newborn. Glad you were able to have a break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tavi is such a doll, I am loving that she is totally sharing your clothing style. You guys are going to be one stylish duo.

    It's always so hard to leave family when you don't live nearby. We definitely moved home when we started having babies because it was so much easier to be closer. At least they are not too far and you can visit often.

    Isn't it funny how a few months make a world of difference in the baby department.

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUM! I don't usually like onions on my hot dog but I saw that pic and suddenly wanted a hot dog!

    Your daughter is just too cute! I love the pic of you holding her up. Its almost like she is saying "are you getting this? I look too cute! You better capture a picture of this moment!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those moccasins! Love love love them. My new mission is to find my daughter a cute pair of moccasins :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your daughter's looking pretty mini-Hippie Lace in her darling onesie and little moccasins! Gah I hate that I had to reschedule our dinner because I'm dying to hear your motherhood stories!! Soon, I hope!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger