sunday series/family life: tavi is a week old already!

Apr 21, 2013

 one week old on Wednesday

How quickly our home has changed! A plate of homemade cookies and a glass of orange juice now sits on the nightstand instead of an assortment of that day's jewellery. The dresser is covered with sleepers, wipes and other baby related things and there's a diaper genie in the corner which, had you asked me a few months ago what it was, I wouldn't have had a clue!
 
Tavi sleeps beside us in her bassinet and I listen to her breathing and rustling around every night. Each morning and her little face is the first thing I get to see. Sometimes she's sleeping peacefully, sometimes she's giving me that look that says mom feed me now! I love watching Jay with her, overhearing him reading books to her makes me smile. We're both learning so much; little things like sleepers with zippers are such a pain (snaps are easier), both of us can function quite well on very little sleep, and how quickly babies grow.
 
The end of this week has been quite rough, I came down with mastitis which really, really sucked. I'm determined to continue breastfeeding and there are a ton of resources in Ottawa to support women who do, the plan is to utilize them. I'm not going to give up without trying everything I can!
 

19 thoughts:

  1. I am really proud of you for your determination to keep breastfeeding. It is really hard in the beginning! After a few weeks it becomes easier than easier still. It is a learning curve for both of you. It will get to the point where she will take the breast and you won't even think about proper latch. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm planning on going to a breastfeeding clinic on Monday, and hopefully get to see an LC. Everyone says the first month is the hardest, I want to try and make it past that!

      Delete
  2. she is such a darling. i love this family life updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Tavi is such a doll. It's funny how our body runs off of love and adrenaline the first few weeks! And ouch Matisis is so painful and sucks so much -- keep nursing her on that side first and try dangling your boob over her (meaning she is laying flat in the bed and you are on all fours over her) -- that will provide some relief. I love your Sunday series :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had mastitis as well and it is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Tavi is beautiful and you are looking great! Those first few weeks can feel like hard work but such a great thing to breastfeed if you can and a fantastic start in life for Tavi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope you feel better very soon! sounds like the both of you are adjusting quite nicely as a family of 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a joy to read this post and remember the beauty, tiredness and happiness that a new born bring into our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy does your house change! I was just complaining to my husband about all the stuff laying around the house. My daily schedule revolves around feedings and naps now, not office work and school bells. I have to say I quite like it. I hope you are enjoying yourself too. Breast feeding is a challenge, but it does get easier. Hopefully your mastitis will clear up soon. I've heard it's painful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. stay strong em k, we know you can! sending love :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 1 week momma. Such an exciting time.

    Good luck with the breatfeeding. So sorry to hear about the mastitis. Breastfeeding is really hard and it definitely takes work. If you can stick to it and make it past the 5-week mark, things usually get better.

    If you need tips or just idea or support, let me know.

    At the end of the day, all you can do is your best. As long as you and Tavi are doing great then that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire you for staying with it. I hope it works out for you my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look beautiful ;))

    agnejsza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with breastfeeding. You and your baby are BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is beautiful in Yellow!!! Great color on her. :-) You have a new mommy glow!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look absolutely darling and Tavi's little outfit is too cute, love the yellow. I don't know what a diaper genie is but I'm sure one day I'll find out, haha. Very happy that you're determining to continue on with the breastfeeding, it takes a strong woman to not give up and you my dear, are clearly one strong Momma.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look blissful. Thank you for letting us share in these moments with you - the sweet tender moments of parenthood as well as the challenges of mastitis. Tavi looks like a little ray of sunshine in front of all the purple. That banner is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger