GUEST POST: Motherhood & Style by Meagan Rigney

Apr 17, 2013

***   I'd like to thank you guys for all your sweet messages and emails. We're really happy with our new little family of three. Over the next few weeks a few of my blogging friends will be occasionally helping out on the blog, offering their perspective on things. I always love reading what they have to say and I'm sure you will too. I'll be back again soon, Em :)   ***






Oh, motherhood. Did I know five years ago how different life would be? I thought I did. I had been a nanny, a babysitter, a day care worker and a teacher. I thought I was prepared. I read all the books and had an "I got this attitude." I was going to be supermom! 

Then our daughter was born, three weeks early and so quickly that my mind didn't have time to adjust. Who was this tiny little person? Was I really someone's mom? The person in charge of every aspect of this little person's well being? It was all so overwhelming! It was so much harder than I thought. Breast feeding, sleep schedules, questions on every little minute detail and more answers than you know what to do with. There are so many options that it becomes overwhelming and mind boggling in all that encompasses being a parent. 

In the first 6 months or so after my first child was born I lost myself. I didn't notice this until afterwards when I looked back and saw myself with more clarity. I let my magazine subscriptions go, I cut my hair shorter than I prefer, I wore sweats more often and didn't have a lot of time to think about myself. In the first couple of months of motherhood you are just trying to survive. Everything else goes out the window as you learn how to readjust life to your new reality. You are more scared to get out of the house (it takes so much longer!) and figuring out clothes on a new body is tough. (Hint: maxi skirts and loose tee's half tucked in are amazing, as are leggings and tunics!)

Before I make this look bad I want to say that being a mom is a dream for me. It is what I was born to do and looking back to my pre children days I feel like my true purpose in life is having them. Everything is better, especially once I figured out how to plan things and adjust our schedule so that we are all happier (another hint: go buy "The Baby Whisperer", it will change your life!) 

My second child came along 17 months after my first and I didn't lose myself like I did with my daughter. There is always that first month of adjustment where you are a zombie at home, but you bounce back more quickly and learn that life doesn't just stop with a new baby. We went out to restaurants (with a blanket over the car seat or baby safely in a Baby Bjorn!) and I took care of myself more. I dressed with more care and learned that having pretty at home clothes and doing my makeup and hair went a long way to making me feel good. 

As for my style now, I think it evolves almost monthly and being a mother doesn't change my thoughts on what I wear. I think style comes from learning about yourself and what looks good and going with what makes you happy. I do need to be comfortable. When my kids were younger and had to be carried more I couldn't wear wedges or heels much, but other than that I wear what makes me happy. I find that if I am content with myself and how I look I am a better mother and wife. I go to the gym three days a week, I eat healthy, I run my blog and I dress to make myself happy.  

Being a mom is the most amazing experience. It will teach you more about yourself than you ever thought and will change you, but for the better. The trick is to take the time (even if it is only 5 minutes!) and do something that makes you feel better. Put on a pretty necklace, a new lip color, a flowy (and stretchy!) maxi skirt and all with be fine. I promise:)

P.S You can find me over at my blog, Because of Jackie..come on over and say hello!

8 thoughts:

  1. Great post! Love your style reflections on being a new mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. really a lovely post! I think it's really important to realize that life doesn't stop with this wonderful life task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you're all doing well :D Glad to see guest posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my first baby 7 weeks ago. I have that losing myself feeling already - glad to be part of a community that reminds you to stay focused on yourself too! Blogs rock.

    Em - hope you and that little baby girl are doing amazing!

    Memoirs & Mochas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very stylish guest editor! My son just turned six months and I'm finally wearing more than just leggings and putting a slight effort into how I look. It's def an adjustment but I'm glad to see that it gets easier with time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, this is an amazing post. So inspirational, I love hearing about personal life stories... especially motherhood. There's something special about that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that first outfit with the star top is just so cute.
    i am determined not to let myself go after baby arrives although i know there will be an adjustment period
    i will check out the baby whisperer
    and make sure to have lots of pretty at home clothes to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a sweet post! such style, and honesty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger