Maternity Style: Blogger Inspiration

Jan 8, 2013

Lately I seem to be saying hhhhhhhmmm a lot when I try and get dressed every morning. The side of the closet of that has clothing that fits is getting smaller and smaller and dressing myself requires a lot of creativity. Yesterday I looked at all the cute dresses hanging up that I wanted to wear and foolishly tried on a couple, just in case by some miracle they still fit! When I tried to zip up one of my favourite dresses from this past summer I burst out laughing; there was almost a foot wide gap between the sides of the dress, it definitely was a no go! Clearly it's necessary to invest in some bigger sizes and more maternity clothes but I'm left with the question;

How do I work maternity clothes into my wardrobe without losing my sense of style?

Since visiting maternity clothing websites doesn't offer much in the way of individualistic styling ideas (and the stores I've come across are really not my taste), I turned to a few of my favourite bloggers and went through their archives to see how they maintained a sense of style during their pregnancies. It was pretty inspiring, turns out their pregnancy style wasn't that much different than their everyday style!



During her pregnancies James of Bluebird Vintage kept her laid back, 60s look through a mix of vintage and modern dresses that had a distinct hippie feel to them. 



Naomi of the Love Taza|Rockstar Diaries maintained her quirky hipster style by mixing modern maternity brands with fun footwear and colourful tights.



Sydney of The Daybook didn't alter her trademark romantic girly style much during pregnancy. Loose, flowy skirts and dresses paired with colourful cardigans remained staple items in her wardrobe. Adding accessories to her outfits was key. 

These bloggers offer plenty of styling ideas for how to maintain a unique sense of style during pregnancy, the main one being that it's all about the accessories. Belts were used to show off a bump and transformed a looser shape into something structured, cropped or form fitting tops and cardigans were layered to add visual interest and not bulk and hair and make-up played a big role in looking polished and pulled together.


32 thoughts:

  1. really a tough task not losing your sense of style while pregnant! totally love the idea if maxi dresses for pregnancy (bluebird), that looks phantastic to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great! i basically lived in my maxi dresses. come to think of it, yes, that's literally all i wore. my best tip for you is JERSEY FABRIC! maxis made out of jersey will honestly last you your entire pregnancy and then you can still wear them when you are done being pregnant. well, really anything made out of jersey. and, of course, it's so flowy and pretty so you still feel lovely while wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maxi dresses are great during pregnancy! But I find it hard to stick to dresses now with our Northern weather.
    You'll come up with some great ideas for incorporating your wardrobe with maternity wear. It can be a fun task to dress that beautiful bump you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look so great, I love that they stayed true to themselves and didnt just go for the typical maternity clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worrrrrrrrd. This is a perfect post! Hopefully, I will be pregnant one day, and I have already spent a lot of time thinking about how I can avoid maternity clothes! I'm totally pinning this post!
    Looooooooooove that pink and white striped dress up top! {Gasp! I don't even like pink that much!}
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i loved being pregnant because i was able to wear my old clothes and then just add accessories. now my body is changed so much i can't wear anything. i'm working on that and hopefully soon I can dress well again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all great looks! I just wish that some of the cutest maternity clothes weren't so expensive. I'm not looking forward to someday spending money on things I will never wear again afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am certain you could put on a potato sack and be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great post. gives me hopes that one day when i do become pregnant i'll still be able to have my style. the bump should only enhance it, hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so inspiring. It really can be difficult to stick to a sense of style sometimes with maternity clothes. with my first I remember the challenge of getting ready every morning. I hope with the next one to really stick to my style even with the bump! enjoy this wonderful time it's super exciting! xx. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some great inspiration for maternity style, just wish I had known this when I was pregnant with my two!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great inspiration! That would be a hard transition for sure! I've enjoyed watching what Cecilia of Dearest Lou wore throughout her pregnancy as well. Just found your blog through Gentri's and your style is so fun! Congrats on the new addition to your family :)
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me encanta tu blog,eres guapísima y los outfits son geniales incluso ahora que estas en embarazo y es mas difícil. Te admiro!
    Te espero en http://enendele.blogspot.com.es/ y espero que te guste :)
    Un beso desde las Islas Canarias.
    Anggie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree - those three women were great inspirations for maternity styles. You are looking great, though! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. you sure know how to pick 'em!!! most fashionable mommas of the year award much??! it must be so different for you when pulling pieces to wear but the ones you show on the blog are always stunning - you've got amazing taste Em....keep rockin' it. i adore your bohemian vibe! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldnt imagine being pregnant in the winter and trying to put the pieces together. I basically used spandex tunics and shirts, a belly band so I could still wear my skinny jeans, and lose v-neck Ts from gap. I love all of the above bloggers.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. They all look very cute! I think you can manage by mixing a few things you own with some cute new maternity things. I hope if I am ever pregnant, it is in the summer so I can wear big flowy things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the looks above, definitely some great inspiration for you and other expecting mums! I can only imagine how hard it gets the bigger the belly grows :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A good idea to look for inspiration from bloggers. Happy New Year!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all adorable, but Sydney has to be my favorite! I was pinning her pregnancy outfits just because they were so cute on their own-- love her!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great way to gain inspiration for your maternity style. After I had my lil lady and she got a bit older and even to this day(at 12) I just randomly ask her to find an outfit for mommy, you will be surprised what they come up with. Sometimes it is so far from your comfort zone and crazy and other times you love it. Just thought I would give you something to look forward to as your lil lady grows up for the "hmmmm" moments,lol. Lil girls are lots of fun!

    http://got2bewise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I find it hard to stay on top of looking cute and being preggies while it being winter and cold...but I can't wait to check out these lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They all look adorable!! I am a couple of years away from babies but I hope to be able to maintain these cute looks!! Great inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All those mommas are gorgeous! I heard for some pieces you can buy a size up for extra belly room and be good to go, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look so lovely. There is a great skirt dress in these days.

    http://stylopoint.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I could only hope that I'll look this good while pregnant! I expect that I'd turn out to be one of those people who just becomes a huge mess.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maternity period comes rarely in a lifetime and all women should look good at that time. These dresses are great and really suits on you .

    ReplyDelete
  28. these ladies are also some of my favorite bloggers. I hope you are enjoying trying new looks during this blessed time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I totally remember feeling the same way at the end of 2011, it was so frustrating. I really liked destination maternity and asos for some great pieces. Also, the LOFT has a nice selection online only. To be honest I paid a LOT more attention to my makeup, it was on point everyday haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. It must be hard deciding what to wear! And frustrating. Especially when you already have a closet full of cute clothes you love wearing. Great roundup showcasing how other bloggers have dealt with it :) Hope you are feeling well!

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
  31. They all look so great, I love that they stayed true to themselves and fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wish I'd been looking at style blogs when I was pregnant, all of those ladies looked so stylish and cute and all I wore was old navy stretchy skirts and jeans. (So, so not cute and the my feet swelled up like hipos and all I could wear was men's flipflops.) I've been so impressed at how amazing you look in all of your posts, you still have your cool sense of style going on and look so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger