Small Space, Big Ideas

Dec 3, 2012



A few weeks ago Minto, the company developing the condos downtown (Lansdowne) sent over a Design Consultant to take a look at our place and share her thoughts on how to make the most of a small living space. I was really excited to get a professional opinion on how to arrange furniture, tips on decorating and where to find great things for your home.

Even though Jay and I have been living here since July we haven't done very much. Summer is the busy season in his line of work and until recently I was pretty much out of commission due to this pregnancy. Now that things have calmed down we can start getting our home in order!

Prior to meeting with the Design Consultant I sent her information about Jay and I; our tastes, hobbies, music we listened too, favourite colours etc, so she could get a sense of what we were like. She arrived prepared - she had paint samples, magazines with flagged pages and lots of ideas. My main question was where to start with a room, because I'm never really sure what to do! Her answer was find something you absolutely love, whether it's a piece of art, fabric, or anything else and go from there.
 

With the master bedroom the Design Consultant suggested creating an accent
wall as the central focal point. Whether it be a large and striking piece of art or mis-matched frames hung eclectically, this would be a way of anchoring the space. Incorporating colour by adding a couple of prints through the bedspread or curtains (in whites, oranges and marigold-y yellows) would brighten things up. Adding crown molding would be another way to make the room seem larger. Glass and white accessories like lamps, mirrors and frames would balance out our dark furniture.  

Her suggestions for the master bedroom and the rest of our home were insightful and we look forward to using many of them, even though we have a ways to go before our place is done. She said it usually takes about 6 months or so from the time you move in and start decorating to finish a home. We're a little behind but hopefully we'll get there soon!


This post was sponsored by Minto

23 thoughts:

  1. Ooh, so beautiful.. I love the picture frames and of course you two in those ( my bf doesn't like me putting our pictures on show but there's one he :D ) And the color of the walls is just perfect.. I really love the first photo too, with all the pretty jewelry.

    Satu
    Indie by heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fantastic decor. I love the drawings of ladies. It's great that you could get a pic of the two of you. I'd love to have one but he hates to have his picture made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's very classic and elegant looking em k! my painting room has walls the same color as your bedroom. hope your over the pregnancy sickness you had in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the layout! and the color of the jewelry is so pretty :)

    happyleeliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! Those blue walls are gorgeous! Absolutely stunning :)

    Tasia

    ReplyDelete
  6. how amazing that sounds - your own personal interior designer. that rocks!! she sounds like she's got some ace ideas up her sleeve, i really like her idea to find one thing you love and focus out from there. kinda the way an image board starts too. um, i'm really loving your blue bedroom - it's deep and would be uber soothing to sleep in. best of lucks on the continued nesting shape ups, i know it'll be a rad result when you're all done! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is BEAUTIFUL. I'm so jealous of the bold, jewel tone color on the walls. Right now, we're just focusing on getting some art into our place because it's looking a little bare... send this design consultant to me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home is stunning!! I love the colour of your walls - and your furniture!!

    Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the decor! Your bedroom is fantastic. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your bedroom is so beautiful!!! ^^

    -elvina
    www.elviemousse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a pretty room and I love the colours of your wall! have to convince my husband to add some colour at least to our bathroom. the pics you added to your chest of drawers are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always nice to have a second opinion on how to design a home. At the end of the day though i think what you like trumps anything else. Love the idea of an accent wall int he bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a home is a never ending project! happy decorating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh I would love a professional advice too. Your bedroom is gorgeous, love the rich colors and the framed Home quote is so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the turquoise in the turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely so far... I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the place when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Em I wish I lived closer I went to Interior design school and would help you out. I actually prefer small spaces because I like feeling cozy. But with a kid I sometimes wish for a large bonus room for quiete time. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks lovely! I love interior design. And I like all your turquoise jewels! Good luck on the rest of the home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like that dark blue/turquoise shade on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this room! i think you have great taste! thanks for stopping by my blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh your bedroom is beautiful! Some great little touches to make it homely!
    Daisy Dayz
    Cross-Jones-Photography

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey, love your style and love your blog...following you on Bloglovin! (:
    Check out mine and follow me if you like it too http://memypendown.blogspot.in/
    much love.x

    Check out and like my Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/MeMyPenDown

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger