Canadian Craft Beer Scene (Brother's Beer Bistro & Red House)

Jun 4, 2012

Red House lighting, Brother's Beer Bistro Bottle List, trying something new, enjoying our table by the window, asparagus soup topped with toasted malts, Jay examining the colour of his beer before making notes, tasty wheat brew, trying Waupoos cider at Red House 

On the weekend Jay and I headed to the market in Ottawa to check out the newly opened Brother's Beer Bistro. There are so many things I love about this place, starting with the concept. High end food paired with high caliber beers, a simple enough idea, but  one that's rare around here. Most places that have an awesome beer selection have a not so awesome food selection. At Brothers, not only does the menu recommend a beer that compliments each dish, every item has some 'beer' element to it, whether it's topped with roasted hops or infused with malts. Don't worry though, the food doesn't actually taste like beer; it's like when a sauce is made with wine, the alcohol is boiled off and all you're left with is a subtle flavor.

There is a huge selection of craft beers, both on tap and in bottles, with a bunch of seasonals thrown in. I always try and mix things up a little, so although I had my usual St Ambroise apricot wheat ale, I tried Young's double chocolate stout (since I loooooovvvee stouts), which is actually the perfect "desert" for someone who isn't big on sweets

Brother's Beer Bistro has a very urban, industrial feel to it with exposed brick walls and visible metal piping overhead. The seating is genius, instead of using tables crammed so close together you're practically eating with strangers (something I REALLY hate), there is a row of spacious booth seating down the middle and along one wall. There are smaller tables lining the giant window that overlooks the street and the message conveyed is clear: get comfortable and stay awhile.

We had fun ordering different kinds of beer and sharing them between us while 'people watching' through the window. The lighting was perfect for Jay, the natural light let him gauge beer colours accurately. He's always making notes on new beers and then reviewing them online. I don't know a ton about craft beer other than what styles I like so I'm currently making my way through the humorous Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer, which is an easy to read  (non pretentious) guide to the whole craft beer scene.

We'll defiantly be frequenting Brother's Beer Bistro this summer and if I had to go by the line-up at the door as we were leaving, I'd say it's going to be a pretty busy place this summer!  

34 thoughts:

  1. I want to go to there!!!! :). ~serene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiiii love you blog im following you hope you follow me to

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks like a great place! i love checking out new places.

    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh em k, it sounds like a heavenly time you & jay had with great food, & trying the beers! when i saw your photo of the asparagus soup, i immediately thought that looks delicious. remember when i ate that kind of soup a couple weeks ago? the final black & white photo of you is very lovely too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like my kind of place! looks like a wonderful place - i look things cooked with beer - adds great flavor! and you look so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a perfect night! good beer and food can't really be topped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks so cool and You look beautiful xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to check that out, I know all the men in my life would love that restaurant. What a great thing to pair a beer with each meal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks like you had a great time..lovely images! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fun time, I love "good" beer. Great photos, I love the name of the place as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog and I think it is amazing.I will come again for sure If you want we could follow each other? Let me know on my blog if you would follow me and I will follow you immediately Have a great day honey
    http://liliemarlen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're gorgeous and I love your blog, so cool!

    Lifizine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that last pic of you ... you look gorgeous!!

    Check out my giveaway!

    ♥ Shia

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's a place kinda like that in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg your eyelashes are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great place to go for a date night or with friends. I really like how you do your eye makeup btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a place my man would love- we will have to check it out! Stunning photos and your soup looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. People watching is so fun haha
    I only just found your blog and I can't believe I haven't found it sooner!
    You have some crazy good content on here and I can't wait to go through
    some more posts but I thought I'd leave you a comment to let you know first :)

    I was thinking we could follow each other on GFC, what do you think?

    Kendra
    xx

    http://www.stoleninspiration.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely pictures! Craft beer is so huge here in Cape Town.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos and you are beautiful!

    FASHION CAT
    www.myfashioncat.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look really happy... hope you had fun!

    http://strictlyviral.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am pretty sure I got wasted reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. great pictures..I love craft beer. I am feeling fish and chips and beer now! Double chocolate stout sounds so interesting, haven't heard of it. Have a wonderful weekend with nice cold beer.

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Pretty, Love your postings.

    Thanks for visiting my blog as well.
    ( please follow me that I can visit u more often)
    xoxo

    Y

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll be heading there this weekend! I need a new place to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. PS totally follow you now! Love to have another ottawa blogger on my roll : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hear beer in Ottawa is very good... I think you look really happy!

    http://beelineclothings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, such happy pictures:)

    And you look so pretty!


    Thanks for visiting:)
    Maybe we could follow each other?
    Love,
    Shubhi's Revels!

    ReplyDelete
  30. love this pics and also your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow you!
    Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be so glad :D
    kisses
    http://francescagiusti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to leave you a little blog luv! Def enjoyed this post!! New Follower via email :-)

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really glad to have seen a review of Brothers! We live a stone's throw from there and I've been lamenting the fact pubs/breweries/bars generally don't serve good food. In Australia I was constantly blown away but the ability to get standout food in those kinds of places. SOunds like Brothers is onto something!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger