Style Icons Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen

Sep 21, 2011


Although I was always was aware of Mary Kate and Ashley's career growing up, it wasn't until they went away to University and the tabloids started trashing them for their 'dumpster chic' look that I sat up and took notice. I remember taking one look at a glossy paparazzi shot of Ashley Olsen in a signature outfit and thinking this... this is fabulous!!!

Throughout the years I have followed the twins style, fascinated with the ever changing, carefully curated but thrown together look that was street, hippie, urban, chic, expensive and cool all at the same time. Despite the fact they tend to wear their clothes looser and often in a disheveled, undone kind of way they always looked put together.


A few things have remained constant throughout their ever changing looks. Both Ashely and Mary Kate always have luxurious bags, footwear and glasses. They wear clothing in proportion to their frame, even when wearing looser, baggier pieces. They might look sloppy to some, but they never look cheap. Although they cover up most of the time, if they do choose to show some skin it's done tastefully. Their clothing is made of quality materials and often has intricate detailing that can't be reproduced by a fast-fashion knock-off. Its the intricate details that are seen in every outfit that makes their style so unique.

Opulence seems to be the theme of their red carpet looks, however the girls style is still unpredictable. I look forward to seeing what they wear to events because I never know what to expect. Sometimes they allude to old Hollywood glamour, their dresses have a vintage feel to them, yet theres always a modern twist. Other times there's a reference to menswear, and sometimes they look completely opposite and mismatched side by side.  


The thing that stands out the most to me is not their signature shoes or the trends they've started but it's their attitude. The Olsen's just don't care what people think of how they dress. At all. They're confident in themselves and how they choose to dress. Their fearless approach to fashion and grow stylistically.

What I've learned from watching Mary Kate and Ashley's style change over the years is that fashion can and should be fun. You're not going to grow if you don't take risks once and awhile. As long as you know what looks flattering on you and go from there you really can't lose. The Olsen twins create an impression on people (people either love their style or hate it, no in between) because they don't dress like everyone else. They stand out, they're confident. They dress how they want to and it works, they're making the world a prettier place, once outfit at a time.


25 thoughts:

  1. I have always loved the Olsen twins and I love them even more now! Their style is absolutely amazing! And I have the same birthday as them! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. YES. YES. These girls are IT for me. Best. Thanks so much for sharing! You should check out a blog called "Olsens Anonymous"- its fab! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are two of my style icons as well! I've always loved their disheveled, messy chic look! You're right, none of their clothes never look cheap! I love how they compliment each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! I love their style and the fact that they own it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so true! i really like that post. and they are sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are indeed Fashion Icons....but not my favorite! I am a BIG fan of Olivia Palermo, her style is more close to what I really like! But these Twins are trully fashionable a businees women!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanksss!!! :)
    amazing photo the one before the last one!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ate up every word of this post. I'm a longtime fan of their style (even when it was matching overalls when they were 8), and love seeing these inspirational pics and learning more about them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore the Olsen's style so much! I love the way that they aren't afraid to wear whatever they want! I would give anything to raid their wardrobes! Love their hair too!

    www.weardoesshego.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i honestly love their style! I've always been a fan since I was little (watched all their movies and used all their kid products LOL) and as an adult, I really admire their style. I can't really pull off their looks for myself but I sure do randomly try ;) and i love it - love how undone yet perfectly done, they are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just wish theyd wear clothes that actually fit them. everything always looks so giant!! but nevertheless, they still look gorgeous every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love them, they are able to achive any kind of look while adding their own signature attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always loved the Olsens' style since I was a kid! They're truly fashion icons. x E

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Your blog is really cool, I like it!! The Olsen twins are simply fab!
    Come and visit my blog, and if you like it, follow me, I'll be waiting for you!

    Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  15. well said! :)

    http://honeybeelane.blogspot.com/2011/09/she-or-me-who-wore-it-best.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Creative finding <3
    In love with their wet hairstyle
    Awesome!

    Warm Love,
    Pinkie Anggia

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, we should definitely all follow their exmaple. Have fun with fashion and take some risks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never been an Olsen twin fan, but I liked your post about their style because it's well-thought-out and well-written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing style icons, usually I don't like very much her looks but they have awesome looks. Maybe they don't have style and always mix with some trends but I think that they have acttitude. I love your blog, you won a new follower :)

    PS: Thank you that you liked the name from my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally love their style and thank you so much for your lovely post about them! really well written, I enjoyed reading it a lot. Really love how they are able to look expensive and effortless relaxed at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am not a celebrity-watcher at all but I love these girls so much. I love that their hair NEVER looks "done" and they always look like they got dressed in the car but they'd picked out their outfits carefully first:) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. They really do have great style! Who can deny that? They know how to wearclothes no one else even daares to try, for that I must give them cred! xxAnisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there friends, how is all, and what you wish for
    to say regarding this post, in my view its actually amazing designed for me.
    My blog post ; High Desert

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger