Psychedelicious

Jul 26, 2011



Sometimes talent's obvious, even when it's sketched across a 9th grade note passed to you in history class. Fast forward a decade or so and Heather Carty is still sketching (and painting), showcasing her signature underground psychedelicious style at Basement Artists events in Ottawa, Ontario. Shows produced by this group combine art from upcoming local artists with performances by talented bands in the area. The type of music, venue and artists featured varies from event to event.


Psychedelicious art is reminiscent of the 1960s & 70s and some sort of magical fairytale. Using markers and oil paint Heather's work conveys a mood of make believe. Her simple black and white portraits of fairy-like people capture the same feeling of whimsy and imagination as her paintings.


Although there is nothing inherently wrong about buying prints produced by Ikea or Urban Outfitters, or owning mass produced art, it's much nicer to fill your house with unique pieces created by local artists. That way you know you're fostering creativity by putting money into the pockets of an individual rather than a huge corporation. I love hanging real art in my home (I own 4 of the portrait prints) because each piece has it's own story. Besides, nothing kills a conversation faster than the phrase "I bought it at Ikea"!

You can find Psychedelicious on facebook or get your hands on some here :)

15 thoughts:

  1. these are so incredible. totally agree about the unique pieces as opposed to IKEA! those portraits are awesome, I love the mismatched eye sizes :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! And this art is amazing!! Thank you for sharing! So I tried making that daisy headband today. But apparently the wild daisies in alaska are different. The stems were really stiff and just kept breaking. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. talents can definitely be spotted at its earliest when at school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree!


    http://honeybeelane.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the style of these portraits. The owl one is my favourite, as I have a bit of an obsession with them. lol.

    I also agree unique and creative art from independent artists would definitely be in my home before anything from IKEA or UO :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, I love love,love them!!!Such amazing talent!!!Thanks for sharing!
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. waow the art is so awesome.. love the little sketches aswell.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what else is disconcerting? Seeing the same print at four different people's apartments. It makes you want to take that thing on your wall and toss it to the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These drawings are so enchanting and mesmorizing... She draws so beautifully!

    ...And thank you ever so much for dropping by my blog ❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah, I'm in love with her wide eyed girl illustrations...they're amazing and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these are absolutley amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with you. every piece of art in my house is unique one of a kind... when I travel I buy a piece and I've collected some amazing stuff over time that you can't get at Ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree, ikea to me said cardboard. A unique piece by a local artist is so much cooler and often times much cheaper! I love these prints! The last one is my favorite, I think because of the awesome use of those bright primary colors! Fantastic art! Going to check this out :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger