Adding Inches: DIY Vintage Lace Trimmed Shorts

Jun 3, 2011

I don’t know how many times I’ve gone shopping for shorts wishing I had more options than a 2 or 3 inch inseam! The other day I came across an easy DIY on the blog Bikinis & Passports, the perfect solution to jazz up a plain pair of shorts or too add some length. Her shorts turned out fabulous so I course I wanted to try it!

Vicky H's DIY lace trimmed shorts

The steps are fairly simple. I bought some eyelet lace, took an old pair of cutoffs and sewed the lace on by hand while watching The Foo Fighters: Back and Forth. Here's the finished result:


My take on the vintage lace DIY

One of the many reasons I love reading blogs besides the fact they’re great sources of creativity and inspiration is to see the different way bloggers style similar pieces. I added an old studded belt to counteract the femininity of the shorts and the lace trimmed shirt.

Depending on the look you were going for you could add thicker lace, a different style of lace or even use ribbon. To add more length just sew on multiple rows of trim, it's really up to you!


Natalie from Hakunamata's shorts

and look what I found on the Topshop site!



Topshop MOTO Blue Denim Broderie Anglaise Hotpants


23 thoughts:

  1. really cute idea! Love your shorts and I really loove the peak of longer lace on Natalie's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey :) thanks

    those shorts are very cool :) well done*

    ReplyDelete
  3. waw! I love your short!!!! so pretty! I have to make one too! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to ask, how do you do to have the ruffle effect at the border of your jeans? Is it like this when you cut it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ruffle/fraying happens gradually when jeans are cut and washed. Its a good idea to hem/stich the bottom of the jean shorts so they only frey up to a point.

    This might be helpful if you're making your own cut-offs: http://www.ehow.com/how_2247306_make-denim-cut-off-shorts.html

    Good luck!

    ~Em K

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!! So simple, yet so clever. Definitely may need to try this out on a pair that's just a tad too short

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow! what a great idea to make a cotton lace trim to the jean shorts! I need to steal it:)
    thanks for showing us your result!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute!! I want to try this soon.

    -Hope
    www.aflatteringtale.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! They look great paired with your studded belt...Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely have to try this! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously loving these shorts, I need to do this to mine, I'm so bored of them!
    and random question, but how's the Foo Fighters documentary? I'm dying to see it ;)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Re Foo Fighters documentary, i'd recommend it, it showed both the good things and the bad things about the band & it was pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I've got loads of cutoffs that I'm just bored of at this point...I could totally mix and match materials if need be...love this post!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this idea. My cut-offs have a turn-up, so I might have to have a go with an old pair of jeans!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing. I have a too-short skirt I've hated the thought of throwing out or selling, and this sounds perfect. I'm buying some eyelet tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea but I might try and attach the lace to a pair of hot pants or some form of underwear that way I can wear it with more than one pair of shorts. Thanks for the idea tho. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super super cute idea! I'm totally going to do this with my next pair of shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this look! I want to turn an old pair of jeans into some cut offs with lace for the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Saw this today pinned on pinterest.com and knew I had the perfect pair of shorts to try this with!!! I had cut them a bit too short by accident and they have been hanging out in my drawer since. They were waiting just for this! AND I already have 3 different kinds of lace trimming lying around! Whoot whoot! Trying this tonight!!!! Thanks for the blog! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hippie Lace All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger